Combustibles Ignited By Proximity To Gas Fireplace Left On Overnight Cause Old Town House Fire In Alexandria

September 16, 2020 at 4:48 pm

Flammable substances that are ignited by proximity to gas
Chimney left overnight cause old town house fire

For immediate release: September 16, 2020

On Wednesday, September 16, at around 6:15 a.m., a fire alarm went off for an apartment in the 600 block of S. St. Asaph St. The alarm was quickly turned into a fire in a residential building. Upon arrival, the units reported smoke and fire from the back of the building on the roof
Level, and a second alarm was triggered immediately.

The fire spread from a screened porch on the 3rd floor and burned through the roof, damaging a neighbor’s roof as well. The crews entered quickly and put out the fire. Firefighters conducted an origin and cause investigation and determined that the fire was accidental and originated
The screened-in porch on the 3rd floor where combustibles ignited due to proximity to a gas fireplace that was accidentally left on overnight. The house received an estimated $ 110,000 in damages.

Residents indicated that smoke alarms would alert them of the fire and evacuate them before the units arrived. No residents or first responders were injured in the incident. The residents were able to confirm alternative accommodation themselves, as did their neighbors
will be able to reoccupy their home at the end of the incident.

Comments are closed.