Fire Spreads to House from Faulty Fireplace – Lee’s Summit Tribune

Deputy Chief Jim Eden, Lee’s Summit Fire Department

At 9:04 p.m. on Thursday, June 25, 2020, the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structural fire in the 300 block of SW Seagull Street. Inmates were using the fireplace when the smoke alarm went on and they noticed smoke coming from the wood fireplace around the fireplace.

When the fire brigade arrived, light smoke could be seen on the back of the one-and-a-half-story family house. The inmates were safe outside.

When firefighters entered the house there was a fire in the fireplace and in the wood paneling around the chimney vent. The fire had already spread the enclosure in the attic. The crews had to open the walls around the enclosure and part of the ceiling to the attic to put out the fire. The incident was under control at 9:58 p.m.

The area around the fireplace mantle and part of the attic was limited by fire damage, while the rest of the structure was damaged by light smoke.

A faulty chimney was found to be the cause of the fire.

Comments are closed.