McKinney Resident Tries to Dispose of Christmas Tree in Fireplace – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
McKinney City reminds residents to properly dispose of their Christmas trees after a fire damaged a home in McKinney on Saturday.
According to the McKinney Fire Department, officials responded to a call about a structural fire in the 4400 block of Rancho Del Norte Trail.
Officials said firefighters arrived to find that a Christmas tree had been placed in a house fireplace.
Only the top of the tree was in the fire, so the flames went down the tree and out of the chimney, officials said.
According to the McKinney Fire Department, the fire was quickly extinguished after the firefighters arrived.
The damage was limited to the area immediately around the chimney, and one person was treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation.
The McKinney Fire Department said residents could visit www.mckinneytexas.org/recycle to learn how to properly dispose of Christmas trees.
Additional safety information can be found at www.mckinneyfire.org or www.nfpa.org.