Mobile Home Theater Creates Unique Revenue during Coronavirus Lockdown
Audio Etc … in Dayton, Ohio charges $ 400 to $ 800 a night to rent the home theater for one night.
“If the mountain doesn’t come to Mohammed, Mohammed will come to the mountain.” And that’s exactly what Audio Etc … LLC of Dayton, Ohio is doing during the coronavirus lockdown by providing its 32 foot x 9 foot x 8 foot wide mobile home theater to customers during COVID-19 quarantine for building a new source of income for customers the enterprise.
“If you can’t go to the theater, we’ll bring the theater to you,” said Kirby Gaboury, president of Audio Etc.
For years, the company’s mobile showroom has been most widely used as a fundraiser for local and national charities such as the National Cancer Society, the American Diabetes Association, the Make-A-Wish Foundation, as well as other events such as galas or golf outings that feature live Auctions, silent auctions and taking place.
At these events, guests bid via live auctions or silent auctions for a “Dinner and Movie” package, which includes a meal for six people in their own home, followed by the opportunity to watch a film in the mobile theater with a D box Motion Technology seating, Dolby Atmos surround sound and a 4K projector experience.
The projector is routinely an Epson Pro Cinema 4K device. However, depending on the type of event, the projector can be switched to JVC Laser or 8K or Sony 4K. Gaboury doesn’t like keeping those expensive projectors in the trailer just in case they’re broken into. The entire showroom is controlled with URC.
During operation, the air-conditioned theater is powered by a Honda 6500 generator, which is located in the back of Gaboury’s Ford truck, but also has a powerful Furman UPS power supply on board.
“Last year we ran 26 events that raised over $ 23,000,” says Gaboury. In addition to the mobile showroom, Audio Etc. has a large common room in its 17,000 square foot facility that local nonprofits and charities can use the space for free.
With the advent of the coronavirus lockdown, Audio Etc expanded the use of the mobile showroom to make it available to customers for rent and not just for charity events. The company is now offering a “Dinner and a Movie” package, which is very popular with film customers, especially as cinemas across the country are still closed. Not only does the mobile theater provide a dynamic movie experience for six customers, it also allows Audio Etc customers to test the latest equipment and possibly purchase upgrades or even entirely new equipment to add value to their home.
The six-seat theater has, among other things, movement seats from D-Box, an Epson projector, Definitive Technology loudspeakers and an SI screen.
“To replace the business lost to COVID-19, we decided to rent the experience,” says Gaboury. The price for the dinner-and-a-movie experience is between $ 400 and $ 800, depending on the food.
“This is the real meaning of the show on the street,” he adds.
While guests enjoy the movie, Gaboury has a 27-inch JVC TV in his truck plugged into a Sony Blu-ray player with a Polk Audio mini soundbar so he can watch his own movie. There is also an HDMI connection to the cab of the truck so that it can watch the same movies as the guests if desired.
Audio Etc’s home theater is known to everyone who has attended previous CEDIA Expos. About five years ago, Kirby Gaboury of Audio Etc. bought the D-Box mobile theater, which the motorized seating company used at the show for many years.
List of devices for mobile home cinemas
- 1 Integra ADM 20.4 power amplifier (drives external speakers)
- 1 Integra 30.3 Blu-ray (used as a Zone 2 CD player for external speakers)
- 2 pairs of Definitive Technology AW6500 (outdoor sound)
- 1 86-inch pull-out shelf
- 1 Marantz SR8012 11.2 Atmos receiver 205WPC
- 1 pair of Definitive Technology DI 6.5 LCR light and right speaker
- 1 Definitive technology CS-8080HD center speaker
- 8 Definitive Technology Atmos Bipolar Surround Speakers SR9080
- 2 Furman F1500-UPS power supply
- 2 external Furman Batt1500-EXT batteries
- 1 Definitive technology Supercube 8000 subwoofer (front)
- 2 JL Audio E-Sub e110 subwoofers (under seat platform)
- 1 Epson Pro Cinema 6050UB 4K projector
- 1 main universal bracket
- 1 Screen Innovations 100-inch screen in pure white
- 1 URC MRX-10 controller
- 1 URC 7100 touchscreen / TRC-1080 handheld remote control (backup)
- 2 URC light dimmers
- 6 sets of D-Box HD 3-axis actuators with 3-stage seats
- 6 commercial theater beds
- 1 D-Box controller
- 1 Luxul 3150 router and WiFi access point
- 2 Sony UPB-X1100ES Blu-ray players (one as backup)
- Rack fan kit