West Auckland appliance repair store owner MIA after police raid, customers fume

Servisal equipment at Glen Eden was searched last week.


Servisal equipment at Glen Eden was searched last week.

An equipment repair shop owner in West Auckland was knocked down after police raided his premises over complaints from customers who waited years for their goods to be repaired.

Shortly after 10 a.m. on Friday, police rushed on Servisal equipment in Glenmall Place in Glen Eden.

A man who worked nearby said he heard an officer ask someone inside to come out before police broke in.

Witnesses then saw officers carrying equipment from the store. A police spokeswoman described the operation as a “routine, pre-planned search warrant”.

* Coronavirus: CCTV reveals the car of key workers in Auckland was destroyed and then attacked
* West Auckland shop owner concerned about kebab shop owner’s feed the homeless project
* Turn bad online reviews upside down
* 17 cameras capture dramatic footage of ram raids on Auckland’s north coast

The charges have yet to be brought and no one has appeared in court in connection with the raid.

Do you know more email [email protected]

Servisal is a long-running Glen Eden company that was owned and operated by the same family from the early 1960s until 2018 when it was acquired by Paul Hayes.


The Trade Commission’s 2020 list of the most criticized industries reflects the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Deysi Alarcon said she and her partner Jose Ravet gave a $ 2,000 50-inch LG TV from Alarcon’s mom and a vacuum cleaner to Servisal in 2018.

You’re still waiting for both devices to be returned.

Alarcon said the store was often closed when they checked on the progress of the repairs and when they got to Hayes he “always had an excuse”.

She feels betrayed by Hayes, whose store has been recommended to her as an excellent place to repair equipment.

“We trusted him.”

Servisal Equipment has been in operation since the 1960s.


Servisal Equipment has been in operation since the 1960s.

On Friday afternoon after the attack, Ravet went back to Servisal and found Hayes there.

He said Hayes was having problems with his storage unit and promised to drop off their equipment on Sunday.

The promise didn’t come through, said Ravet.

Recent Google reviews paint a similar picture of the company.

Hayes did not respond to calls or texts from Stuff asking for comment in the days following the robbery.

The lights went on in Glenmall on Tuesday, but no one came to the door, which was still angled and the glass was broken.

A dog bark was the only reaction when Stuff knocked on the door of his New Lynn house that day.

The Glen Eden Business Association said they had been informed of the matter by police but did not want to comment.

Comments are closed.